It is unsafe to eat certain fish & shellfish caught in the San Francisco Bay, because they have built-up toxic levels of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) and mercury. Eating contaminated seafood can lead to health problems in humans and wildlife, including muscle weakness, brain damage, reproductive issues and even cancer.
Also known as “legacy pollutants,” PCBs and mercury were once commonly used in industrial and electrical applications, building materials, and household items. The U.S. has banned the production of PCBs for more than 30 years, and has limited modern-day mercury pollution, but past pollution continues to linger in Bay Area soils and waters today. Ever since the Regional Water Board found San Francisco Bay to be impaired, agencies across the Bay Area have worked together to try and reduce these pollutants. This includes finding and stopping pollution in local watersheds.
One source of these contaminants today is urban stormwater. To help, Santa Clara Valley municipal agencies have used innovative, effective control measures to reduce pollution at-the-source.
Read the pages in this section to learn:
- Which fish are safe to eat, and which should we avoid?
- Who Regulates PCBs & Mercury pollution?
- Where do PCBs & mercury contamination come from?
- What are Santa Clara Valley municipalities and others doing to help?